Sr. Program Manager
The Program Manager will work with a high performing program team within Vivint SmartHome’s Innovation group as they look to deliver innovative and leading services via technology (incl software, hardware, analytics and strategic partnerships). They will work across operational and product/engineering groups to deliver outcomes while contributing to improving the way we work together.
The Program Manager will lead a single program or multiple programs depending on size and complexity including multiple project streams across Vivint’s Innovation Center teams (product management, hardware and software engineering, UX, design, QA) as well as Vivint’s broader operational groups (supply chain, operations, IT, marketing, Finance). The role will cover projects from full new product development, product feature development, revisions of hardware or software updates or product pilots. Depending on the size and complexity of the program a program manager may manage all the above aspects or may be part of a team with a lead program manager to deliver the scope.
At the fundamental level, the program manager’s role in Vivint is to lead a broad cross-functional project team and manage scope, budget, schedule and quality with high order ability to bring people and teams together, identify risks, necessary tradeoffs to maintain track with program goals and negotiate between those stakeholders to deliver a product that will meet our business goals to delight our customers, provide peace of mind and be business accretive (value accretive, channel ready, service smart).
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Accountable for the plan, schedule and budget for your assigned program and projects. Understand priorities and create clear plans to deliver. Communicate with stakeholders and partners. Set and meet commitments. Set specific release dates and milestones with the team and keep them focused on those accountabilities while communicating needs for support or issues that put those at risk.
- LEADERSHIP: Know Vivint’s strategic priorities, and work with product manager and vertical leads to see that the team’s work is aligned to the top priorities. Partner with engineering teams to deliver working solutions in software, products and systems. Set schedules and create strong execution plans to develop products and features to bring to market. Partner with the Product, Engineering, Supply Chain, external partners and Operations team to drive the program. Work across teams to review proposed scope and provide Level of Effort (LOE) estimates as well as suitable tradeoffs for quality and business risk.
- COMMUNICATION: Create appropriate communications to update the business regularly on status, risks and support needed to be successful for the portfolio of programs. Provide weekly status updates communicating progress towards commitment in terms of scope, schedule, and cost.
- RISK AND ISSUE MANAGEMENT: Lead the team to identify risks up front, manage and mitigate them and monitor residual risks and any issues that arise regularly. Track tasks and lead a culture of accountability in the team and across the business. Setup excellent change and risk management practices to keep work on track.
Day 2 Day Tools
- Facilitate and chair relevant program meetings, participate in agile activities where appropriate, develop communications and deliver to stakeholders. Hold regular risk reviews and accountability tracking meetings. Work with stakeholders as risks and issues arise. Develop partner relationships and manage performance of partners relating to program delivery. Work with team to monitor and keep program on track or escalate risk and support needed as required.
- Draw on professional experience of scheduling, risk and task tracking platforms (MS PROJECT, SMARTSHEETS, EXCEL, etc) as well as content and engineering tracking systems (e.g. JIRA, CONFLUENCE, SHAREPOINT, etc)
- A bias to strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills will exist in assessing success in this role along with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment where change and pivots to priorities occur occasionally.
- Team Leadership, ability to establish a leadership identity within the respective groups and overall stakeholder organizations and partners.
- Demonstrate the ability and track record of leading in project delivery and excellence in communication.
- Demonstrate passion to succeed, inspire and motivate the team.
- Strong negotiation skills as well as ability to facilitate informed and timely decisions and mediating tradeoffs with various groups to deliver a product on time and ready for market.
- Deliver clear, concise professional verbal and written communication that is appropriate to the situation and audience. Including commitment to transparency, and stakeholder-based communication.
- Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to clearly communicate with both business and technical audiences.
- Encourage participation & decision-making by all team members and effectively manage group dynamics.
- Experience working with remote and overseas teams and ability to engage across various cultural and language environments.
- Willingness to travel and participate in after-hours calls as required when working with partners in other geographic locations.
- Min. 5+ years professional experience leading large programs, including hardware, services platform and software projects, with internal and external design, development, and quality teams. Hardware and Software experience is not mandatory but a clear aptitude and willingness to work with those domains is needed.
- Bachelors' degree in Business, Engineering or a related field with formal project management training (preferably PMP or similar qualifications).
- Previous experience managing external suppliers or partners as part of program delivery (preference to outsourced SW engagements or CM/JDM/ODM management).
- Strong preference for experience with devices, consumer electronics, manufacturing and consumer facing hardware, and/or software products.
- Track record of leading others & positive change in project definition, project delivery, and process improvement.
- Working experience with project methodologies such as agile and related hardware development processes incl EVT/DVT/PVT framework awareness.
- Past success in creating high performance teams, inspiring and empowering them to achieve results.
- Free catered lunch/snacks/drinks; new menu daily
- Paid holidays and flexible paid time away
- Your choice between Mac or PC
- Employee pricing on smart home products
- Casual dress code
- Onsite gym
- Onsite health clinic
- Medical/dental/vision/life coverage
What We Stand For
Honesty and Integrity Come First - Do the right thing
Customer Obsession is Our Advantage - A relentless passion to serve the customer
Innovation is Essential - Today’s innovation is tomorrow’s lifeblood
We Win Together - Individuals win games: teams win championships
Exceptional is Expected - Talk is cheap: create value, not just motion
We Give Back - Helping people is core to our DNA
Find out more about what it's like to work here